Saturday, March 15, 2014

Anchor Charts


Sarah Ohio, United 3 tier buffet server States I now teach second grade inclusion in Northeast Ohio. I taught first grade for 6 years and in the fall of 2012 I will have my first 2nd grade inclusion classroom! More about me.... *HAPPILY married since 2004 *Mommy of two beautiful 3 tier buffet server girls *My sister and brother are my best friends *Official t.v. junkie *I've learned to love working out *Guilty pleasures: shoes, purses, sushi, pinterest *Love going to the movies, 3 tier buffet server taking pictures and shopping *Amazed by the strength of my family *Loved by Jesus View my complete profile
►  2012 (2) ►  August 3 tier buffet server (1) ►  May (1) ▼  2011 (31) ►  November (1) ►  October (3) ►  September (2) ►  August (2) ►  July (1) ►  June (1) ►  May (6) ▼  April (15) Templates for Organizing Reading Groups Teaching Tools: Write and Wipe Signs Target Find!!! Story Element Wind Vanes Accommodations Readers' Theater What's Coming Soon...Other than SPRING BREAK, 3 tier buffet server BABY... Measurement : Non-Standard Units Behavior Management Letter Writing Word Study Centers Time Management Telling Time: Human Clock Welcome Friends!
Anchor Charts
Day 1 My students 3 tier buffet server are learning how to measure objects and distances using non-standard units.  Before we practiced measuring, we discussed why we need to know how to measure and also made a list of non-standard units that we could use in the classroom. Then, as a class, 3 tier buffet server we demonstrated the many WRONG ways to measure an object. 
To get us familiar with some non-standard units, we set up measuring stations.  Each station had a 'Big Book' from our library and paper plate with a non-standard unit - such as paperclips, popsicle sticks, q-tips. pencils and one-inch tiles.  In groups of 3, the students would rotate to each station and familiarize themselves with measuring with non-standard units.  When they heard the wind-chime, they knew that there was only 1 minute left. When the chime rang again, it was time to switch. 
They 3 tier buffet server also had a chance to practice measuring individually at their seats.  The students measured any item in their desk - scissors, pencil box, highlighter, folders...etc.  We held a discussion on why some friends needed a different number of paperclips to measure their highlighter. This was a great way to see who really understood the concept and who didn't.  Some kids had a hard time understanding 3 tier buffet server that not everyone's highlighter was the same size!  The scissors were a good example to show that the units do no have to touch the object. Some kids wanted to outline 3 tier buffet server the scissors with their paperclips.
Day 2 On day 2, we discussed the non-standard unit of 'kid steps'.  The students found pieces of masking tape on the classroom floor...if 3 tier buffet server you teach first grade, you know how exciting something like this can be for them! They LOVED it!  Each piece of tape was lettered A-H.  The students were to go around and practice measuring each piece of tape using 'kid steps'.  They were to record their findings on their record sheet and compare the pieces of tape.  3 tier buffet server When they were finished, we came together and shared our measurements. (*Activity from Math Investigations)
  For homework, the students were to trace and cut out an outline of their foot and hand.  They were to use outlines to measure objects in their home and record their measurements.  3 tier buffet server I'll post their findings when they bring them back to school. Stay tuned! 
Dear Sarah, For three years, we have lived in a fairly isolated place on the Baja Peninsula of Mexico. This summer 3 tier buffet server we are moving back to the US and I have been trying to find benchmarks, materials, and exercises to make sure that our 7 year old son is ready to enter a mainstream 2nd grade class. Your blog is proving invaluable. My son loves your exercises and loves that he can see pictures of children his age participating in them on-line. Many thanks to you for sharing your creativity and love of teaching. It is a real gift! Kind Regards, Heather February 3 tier buffet server 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM
I found your blog as I was looking for activities for doing nonstandard units of measurement. I like having them explore using different centers. Thanks for sharing your ideas! I'm also a new follower. -Jeremy Mr. Michelbook's Classroom October 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM
I have taught first grade for 12 years and I am always looking for new ideas, as the youngsters are so different every year. I found your non-standard units to be very interesting. I can't wait to use them on Monday. The kiddos are going to love the tape!! Thanks so much!! Debbie April 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Just 3 tier buffet server wanted to say how excited I am that you are teaching Grade 2. I have been reading your Grade 1 blog and adapting lessons to suit my Year 2 students however now that you have moved up a grade I'

No comments:

Post a Comment